Functions as a liaison between the physicians’ and ancillary departments regarding the instruction of regulatory guidelines. Serves as an on-site resource for CPT-4 and ICD-9-CM coding, and charging issues. Responsible for in servicing clinical staff of changes (additions/deletions) that take place in the CDM.
- Liaison between physicians and ancillary departments regarding the instruction of regulatory guidelines. Encourages communication between departments to resolve coding and billing issues. Meets with hospital personnel, as needed, to review that regulatory changes are adhered to. Maintains a reasonable understanding of the billing process to ensure that hospital procedures and services are properly ordered. Is familiar with APC coding and identifies front-end process improvement initiatives. Monitors coding changes for governmental agencies and other payers; educates departments on coding and compliance issues.
- Responsible for CDM Validation. Validates CDM Maintenance Forms prepared by Financial Analysts in a timely manner. Ensures HCPCS codes and revenue codes are in compliance with the Federal Register and other regulatory agencies. Uses all coding resources, including researching availability of additional documentation to assign accurate HCPCS codes.
- Conducts CDM Educational Sessions. Conducts educational sessions with clinical staff members regarding the contents of the Charge Description Master (CDM). Ensures that Department Heads are trained in the proper CDM maintenance procedures. Keeps abreast of federal regulatory agencies and changes in coding and reimbursement.
- Performs related duties, as required.
Bachelor’s Degree in Health Information Management, Business Administration or related field and a minimum of one (1) year coding experience in acute care facility, required.
High School Diploma or equivalent and a minimum of ten (10) years coding experience in acute care facility, required.
Credentials in one or both of the following, required:
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
Thorough knowledge of ICD-10-CM, ICD-9-CM, CPT-4, HCPCS and DRG coding and classification systems.
Successful completion of department coding test.
If you qualify for the position, please create a profile on our website and apply to the following link. Once you fill out an application, please forward your resume to ADevitt@northwell.edu for review. Thank you!